A tourist climbed over the walls of Buckingham Palace but hurt himself and was unable to climb back out, a court heard.
Awad Mustafa from New Jersey was on a 10-day trip to the UK when he allegedly broke into the Royal Mews, at the King’s official residence in central London, in the early hours of Saturday, September 16.
He was found with two passports – from Ecuador and Spain – an iPhone, cash and a battery pack to charge his phone.
The 25-year-old is also charged with attempted theft after police officers discovered a vehicle inside the Mews had been broken into and a “search” carried out.
Westminster Magistrates Court heard he arrived in the UK on Thursday, September 7, and had been planning on flying to Spain the day after the incident.
Prosecutor Rhianne Neil told Westminster Magistrates’ Court: “At 1.30am on September 16th, a member of the public called the police and the informant stated the suspect was already in the grounds.
“Officers attended at 2.30am and found Mustafa hiding in a corner, with an iPhone, two passports, cash and a battery pack. Moments later, a car was found on site broken into, the glove compartment was opened but no items were found missing.
“The defendant climbed the wall, found it was impossible to climb back out, and had suffered injuries when scaling the wall.”
He denied breaking into the car.
Prosecutor Neil added: “He has no fixed address in the UK, he only arrived shortly before this incident and his intention was to go to Spain.
“He was found in possession of two passports, Spanish and Ecuadorian.”
Mustafa was remanded in custody ahead of a further hearing at the same court on Monday, October 16. He is charged with trespass on a protected site and attempted theft from a motor vehicle.
The Royal Mews includes an extensive display of royal carriages and other associated items. It is open to the public for much of the year during normal working hours.
It is also a working part of the palace where carriages and cars are in daily use supporting the work of the monarch.
Scotland Yard previously said that “at no point” did the intruder enter Buckingham Palace or the Palace Gardens.
World News || Latest News || U.S. News