This evening South Wales Police said that a 39-year-old man, 30-year-old woman and 13-year-old boy, all from the Bridgend area, have been arrested on suspicion of murder. In a statement the force said: “We are not looking for anyone else in relation to this incident.”
The so-far unnamed child’s body was discovered near Pandy Park, Sarn, Bridgend, on Saturday morning.
Ch Insp Geraint White said police were “working hard to establish the full circumstances of his death so that we can provide answers to his family”.
He said there were a “lot of people in the local community who would like answers about what happened”.
“This is an extensive and sensitive investigation and many people have been affected by this death,” he said.
In a statement released this evening, South Wales Police said: “We can confirm that following reports of concerns for a missing five year old boy in #Sarn #Bridgend and the subsequent finding of the body in the Ogmore River near Pandy Park, three people have been arrested.
“A 39-year-old man, 30-year-old woman and 13-year-old boy, all from the Bridgend area, have been arrested on suspicion of murder. We are not looking for anyone else in relation to this incident.
“Anyone who has any information in relation to the incident can contact the Major Crime Team directly via this portal link https://mipp.police.uk/operation/62SWP21B36-PO1 or alternatively via one of the following means quoting reference number 2100268674.”
The boy, who has yet to be identified, was reported missing from his south Wales home at around 5.45am on Saturday morning.
Ex-Liverpool player with motor neurone disease gives suffers hope [REVEALED]Sturgeon told Scotland can rejoin EU: ‘End dependence on UK’ [ANALYSIS]Nicola Sturgeon: Norway snubbed independence amid ‘UK loyalty’ [INSIGHT]
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS STORY.
MORE TO FOLLOW…
His body was later recovered in the River Ogmore, and he was pronounced dead after being taken to Bridgend’s Princess of Wales Hospital.
Following the grim discover large parts of Pandy Park in Sarn were sealed off as police forensics teams carried out a fingertip search of the area.
Speaking before the arrests Chief Inspector Geraint White said: “This is a tragic incident in which a young child has sadly lost their life.
“We are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed this incident, or who has any information, to get in touch.
“We would ask the public not to speculate about this incident on social media as this is an active investigation.
“If you have any information that can help, please report this to us.
“Our thoughts are with the family and we are supporting them in every way we can.”
Specially trained officers are supporting the boy’s family and police are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
Police had previously said they were keeping an “open mind” during their investigations and asked people not to speculate about the incident on social media.