United Kingdom

Paramedic who died when object hit windscreen had come out of retirement to fight Covid

The former paramedic had come out of retirement to help during Covid-19 pandemic, the ambulance service said. Paying tribute to Mr Daw, West Midlands Ambulance Service emergency operations delivery director Nathan Hudson told the PA news agency: “He was a remarkable character. He was one of life’s good guys and he will be sorely missed in and around Hereford.” West Mercia Police said the ambulance was travelling towards Leominster at the time of the incident.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “Sadly, despite everyone’s best efforts, nothing could be done to save our colleague, who was the front passenger, and he was confirmed dead at the scene.

“His crewmate, the driver, was also injured in the incident. He has received treatment at hospital and has subsequently been discharged.”

The Midlands Air Ambulance, two emergency ambulance crews and paramedic officers attended the incident.

West Midlands Ambulance Service chief executive Anthony Marsh said: “This is truly awful news, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, and colleagues of those involved at this very difficult time.

“I am enormously proud of all the staff and the university students as part of their clinical placement that worked so hard and professionally to try to save our colleague. I am sorry that despite their best efforts, he could not be saved.”

West Mercia Police are asking anyone who may have seen the incident or have dashcam footage to contact them on 101 quoting incident 00101i of 24 April.

Ambulance technician Jeremy Daw’s death was the result of a “tragic accident”, West Midlands Ambulance Service’s emergency operations delivery director has said.

Nathan Hudson said Mr Daw, of Hereford, retired as a paramedic in November 2020 before rejoining as a technician in January this year to “support the trust during the pandemic”.

Speaking about the incident, Mr Hudson said: “We had a 999 call where the crew responded yesterday shortly before 8am.

“About a minute after eight we had a 999 call to say the crew had been involved in an incident, whereby an object of some description had gone through and pierced the windscreen and one of the crew members were unconscious.

“The driver of the vehicle, who was also injured, was able to get out and try and help and support Jack because he was unconscious and started life-saving treatment to try and resuscitate him.”

He added: “We don’t think this was malicious, we think this is a tragic accident.”

Checkout latest world news below links :
World News || Latest News || U.S. News

Source link

Back to top button
SoundCloud To Mp3