United Kingdom

Men arrested on Ryanair flight released without charge

An RAF Typhoon fighter had to escort the flight after a suspicious object was found aboard (Picture: SWNS/REX/Getty)

Authorities have released two men after a ‘suspicious object’ left in a toilet was found to be a mobile phone.

A Kuwaiti national, 34, and a 48-year-old Italian were held by officers from the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU) when their Lauda flight landed at Stansted shortly after 7pm on Sunday.

The RAF confirmed that Typhoon fighters from RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire had been scrambled to intercept the aircraft and escort it into the airport in Essex.

The two men had arrived on a flight from Vienna and were detained under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act, police said.

ERSOU said today an object thought to be suspicious found in the plane’s bathroom had been examined and found to be a a mobile phone.

The force said the two men had been spoken with and neither were considered to have committed any offence.

Detective Superintendent Andy Waldie, head of ERSOU’s Counter Terrorism Policing unit, said: ‘We understandably take any reports of suspicious objects or behaviour on flights very seriously and thankfully on this occasion there was no cause for concern.

‘I’d like to thank those on the flight for their co-operation and understanding while officers conducted their inquiries.’

Lauda parent company Ryanair said on Sunday evening that all passengers on board had disembarked safely, while those waiting to depart to Vienna had been transferred to a spare aircraft to avoid delays.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] For more stories like this, check our news page.


Checkout latest world news below links :
World News || Latest News || U.S. News

Source link

Back to top button
SoundCloud To Mp3