A Greater Manchester MP, Yasmin Qureshi, has been admitted to hospital with coronavirus.
The Labour shadow minister, who represents Bolton South East in parliament, started showing COVID-19 symptoms two weeks ago and self-isolated.
But she revealed that on Saturday she was taken to Royal Bolton Hospital with pneumonia, as a stand-off remains over new restrictions being placed on the region.
In a statement released on Monday, Ms Qureshi said: “Two weeks ago, I began to feel unwell. I then tested positive for COVID-19, so my family and I immediately self-isolated at home.
“I have not travelled to Westminster or anywhere else.
“I continued to work as best I could remotely, attending virtual meetings and doing casework, but after 10 days, I began to feel much worse and on Saturday I was admitted to the Royal Bolton Hospital with pneumonia.
“I’m being very well looked after and have nothing but praise and admiration for the wonderful staff at the hospital.
“They have been amazing throughout the process and I would like to extend my thanks to everyone working here in such difficult circumstances.”
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said his “thoughts are with my friend” Ms Qureshi and thanked medics caring for her as well as “NHS staff across the country who are on the frontline against COVID-19”.
The move is being resisted by figures like mayor Andy Burnham, who says ministers also need to offer more financial support for workers and businesses who would be hit by the new restrictions.
But Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick insisted a deal needed to be reached by the end of Tuesday or measures may have to be imposed “to protect the NHS and bear down on the virus”.
Sky News has also learnt that some of the area’s 12 hospitals are running out of beds to treat patients with coronavirus.
Figures from the from the Greater Manchester Critical Care Network showed the Stepping Hill Hospital and the Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust were operating at full capacity.
Sir Keir has called for a “circuit breaker” as the UK heads into a second peak, with 16,982 new cases reported on Sunday and a further 67 deaths.
He suggested it could last two or three weeks and coincide with the October half-term, with people told to work from home if possible and all mixing with other households to be banned, as well as pubs, bars and restaurants all being shut.
But Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said a more targeted approach including local lockdowns should be used to avoid a second full national lockdown.
It emerged last week that the government’s scientific advisers known as SAGE recommended a circuit breaker on 21 September for “immediate introduction”.
World News || Latest News || U.S. News
Help us to become independent in PANDEMIC COVID-19. Contribute to diligent Authors.