The vaccines produced by Chinese companies Sinovac Biotech and Sinopharm. were put on display at a trade fair in Beijing this week. Crowds gathered around stalls showing off the potential jabs.
The companies hope the vaccines will be approved after phase 3 trials which could take place as early as the end of the year.
A Sinovac spokesperson said the company has already “completed the construction of a vaccine factory” to produce 300 million doses a year.
It comes as more than 27.19 coronavirus cases have been confirmed worldwide.
The global death toll stands at 888,326, according to a Reuters tally.
FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES:
China has put its coronavirus vaccines on display for the first time
10pm update: Caerphilly placed under lockdown as cases soar
The county borough of Caerphilly in south Wales is to be placed under a local lockdown following a “significant rise” in coronavirus cases.
People will not be allowed to enter or leave the area without a reasonable excuse when the restrictions come into force from 6pm on Tuesday, the Welsh Government said.
Everyone aged over 11 will be required to wear face coverings in shops – marking the first time this will be mandatory in Wales.
Meetings with other people indoors and extended households will not be allowed, while overnight stays will also be banned.
There have been 133 new Covid-19 cases in Caerphilly county borough over the past seven days, equivalent to a rate of 55.4 cases per 100,000 population.
8.40pm update: Senior medical officer warns of UK rising figures
England’s deputy chief medical officer said the rise in the number of coronavirus cases was of great concern and people had “relaxed too much” over the summer.
Warning people they would need to follow the guidelines, Jonathan Van-Tam said: “We have got to start taking this very seriously again”.
“If we’re not careful we’re going to have a bumpy ride, people have relaxed too much,” he said.
Senior medical officer warns of rising figures
A coronavirus outbreak on the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has caused the advanced vessel to be postponed from sailing out of Portsmouth Naval Base after a number of crew tested positive for the deadly pathogen.
The ship remains docked in port as medics carry out further testing to isolate the infected crew members.
The vessel was originally scheduled to leave the port on Monday evening. The Royal Navy confirmed the vessel will now leave port on Tuesday evening.
6.40pm update: Fourth person to die in Northern Ireland hospital
A fourth person has died in Craigavon Area Hospital, Northern Ireland, after testing postiive for coronavirus.
Fourteen patients on the same ward were confirmed to have the virus in a cluster identified last week.
Health Minister Robin Swann said: “The investigation will be in the form of a level three Serious Adverse Incident, which I’ve asked the trust to initiate immediately.
“Support will be available for families, patients and staff throughout this, and the investigation will provide families with the answers they’re entitled to.
“However, I simply cannot put a timeline until the underlying causes are established, which the investigation will provide.”
6.30pm update: France sees cases and death toll figures rise
The number of new, confirmed cases of COVID-19 in France has risen by 4,203 compared with the previous day to stand at a total of 328,980, the French health ministry said on Monday.
The number of deaths also rose by 25 over the last 24 hours to stand at 30,726.
France sees cases and death toll figures rise
6pm update: Spain passes 500,000 coronavirus cases
Spain became the first country in Western Europe to register 500,000 coronavirus infections on Monday, after a second surge in cases that coincided with schools reopening.
Health Ministry data showed a total of 525,549 cases, up from 498,989 on Friday, and 2,440 infections registered in the last 24 hours. Spain updates its data retroactively, so the latest numbers could be revised.
4.40pm update: UK records 2,948 daily confirmed cases of COVID-19
The UK recorded 2,948 daily confirmed cases of COVID-19, according to government data published on Monday, down slightly from 2,988 a day earlier.
Daily case numbers had been rising at about 1,000 a day for most of August, but have started to increase in recent days.
4.15pm update: Holidays: Seven Greek islands now on quarantine list in Greece blow – full list of islands
Holidays have faces constantly changing travel rules in recent weeks and today Transport Secretary revealed that Greece getaways will now face disruption. Seven Greek islands are now on the quarantine list.
Grant Shapps announced in the Commons today that seven Greek islands are now on the quarantine list in a fresh blow for Greece holidays.
The restriction comes into play from Wednesday September 9 from 4am.
From this time anyone returning from the group of Greek islands to England will have to self isolate for 14 days.
Grant Shapps announces Greek quarantine islands
3.40pm update: Greece reports at least nine cases in migrant camp
Greece has registered at least nine cases of coronavirus in the overcrowded migrant camp of Moria on the island of Lesbos so far, a migration ministry official said.
Last week, the facility was placed under quarantine after authorities confirmed that a 40-year-old asylum-seeker had tested positive for coronavirus.
“So far, there are nine cases in the camp in Moria. The number might increase,” the ministry official told Reuters
3.15pm update: Steven Brown takes over from Katie Harris
2.40pm update: Four more coronavirus deaths in hospitals in England
A further four people who tested positive for coronavirus have died in hospital in England, bringing the total to 29,611, NHS England has said.
2.15pm update: Wales confirms 133 further cases
The number of coronavirus cases in Wales has risen by 133 to 18,514, Public Health Wales has said.
The death toll remains at 1,597.
12.55pm update: Scotland at ‘key moment’ in fight against coronavirus
Nicola Sturgeon has said Scotland is at a “key moment” in the battle against coronavirus amid spiking cases.
Speaking at her daily coronavirus briefing, the First Minister said: “We have a very definite trend at the moment.
“In some ways it shouldn’t surprise us, in recent weeks we have opened up most of our economy.
“But as we have released ourselves from lockdown we have also released the virus from lockdown.”
12.20pm update: Scotland reports 146 new coronavirus cases
Scotland has recorded 146 new coronavirus cases, taking the overall total since the start of the outbreak to 21,543.
The death toll remains at 2,496.
11.35am update: 300 urged to self-isolate after charity football match
Up to 300 people who attended a charity football match have been asked to self-isolate for two weeks after 28 people who attended the event tested positive for coronavirus.
The match was held at Burnside Working Men’s Club, in Fencehouses, County Durham on August 30.
The location is close to the border with Wearside, so Durham County Council has been working with counterparts at Sunderland City Council, as well as Public Health England, to manage the response.
Scotland has recorded 146 new coronavirus cases
10.50am update: Thirty pupils self-isolating after student tests positive for coronavirus
Thirty pupils in Year 7 at Ysgol Bro Edern in Cardiff have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days after a student tested positive for coronavirus.
Head teacher Iwan Pritchard said: “Following the confirmation that a pupil at the school has tested positive for Covid-19 we acted as quickly as possible, in conjunction with Public Health Wales, to contact all pupils within the pupil’s class bubble.
“As a precaution, additional cleaning, on top of the daily cleansing regime we have in place, has also been completed.
“Due to the procedures we have in place, restricting contact between different classes and logging seating plans of all lessons, we have been able to limit the numbers of pupils needing to self-isolate and there is no need for parents or pupils that have not been contacted to self-isolate or be unduly concerned.
10.15am update: Philippines records lowest daily increase of cases in 8 weeks
The Philippines has reported 1,383 new coronavirus infections – its lowest daily jump in nearly eight weeks.
The further cases bring the overall total to 238,727.
The country’s death toll has risen by 15 to 3,890.
The Philippines has reported 1,383 new coronavirus infections – its lowest daily jump in nearly eight weeks
9.55am update: Indonesia’s cases rise by 2,880
Indonesia has confirmed 2,880 new coronavirus cases and 105 further deaths.
The country has reported a total of 196,989 infections since the start of the pandemic and the death toll stands at 8,130.
9.20am update: Hancock admits daily rise in cases is ‘concerning’
Health Secretary Matt Hancock told LBC: “The rise in the number of cases we have seen in the last few days is concerning.
“It is concerning because we have seen a rise in cases in France, in Spain, in some other countries across Europe – nobody wants to see a second wave here.
“It just reinforces the point that people must follow the social distancing rules, they are so important.”
When asked if people were not following the rules he added: “We certainly see cases where they are not, and then we take action.”
Russia has recorded 5,185 new coronavirus cases
8.45am update: Russia reports 5,185 new cases
Russia has recorded 5,185 new coronavirus cases, pushing its total since the beginning of the outbreak to 1,030,690, the fourth largest in the world.
The death toll has increased by 51 to 17,871.
8.20am update: India’s coronavirus cases overtake Brazil
India has overtaken Brazil to become the country with the second highest number of coronavirus cases after the US which has the most.
The country has recorded 90,082 new infections, taking its total to 4.2 million.
India’s death toll stands at 71,642.
UK coronavirus map as of September 6
7.50am update: Labour demands answers from Hancock after cases surge
Labour has called on Health Secretary Matt Hancock to explain how cases of coroanvirus will be reduced after nearly 3,000 new infections were reported on Sunday.
Shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth called for Mr Hancock to appear before Parliament on Monday following the spike.
He said on Sunday: “Today’s increase in coronavirus cases is deeply concerning and a stark reminder that there is no room for complacency in tackling the spread of the virus.
“This increase, combined with the ongoing testing fiasco where ill people are told to drive for miles for tests, and the poor performance of the contact tracing system, needs an explanation from ministers.
“Matt Hancock must come to the House of Commons to set out what is being done to get testing back on track and bring case numbers down.”
7.25am update: Five teachers test positive for coronavirus at school
Five members of teaching staff at a school in Suffolk have tested positive for coronavirus, with the academy closed on Monday on the advice of Public Health England.
Two other members of staff at the Samuel Ward Academy in Haverhill are waiting for their test results.
The school said in a statement that the closure was a “precautionary measure” and it hoped to reopen on Tuesday.