Kay Burley has apologised for breaking Tier 2 lockdown restrictions when she celebrated her 60th birthday party amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Sky News host – who now won’t return to her TV duties until 2021 after the bash – was joined at the get-together in Central London by a raft of colleagues.
Beth Rigby, Inzamam Rashid and Sam Washington are also said to have been pulled off air in light of the channel investigating what happened.
And now, snaps have emerged from the evening out – including one that shows Kay hugging co-star Beth Rigby – outside the exclusive members’ club Century Club in Soho.
In the photos, captured over the weekend, the duo, who should have been abiding to social distancing measures, can be seen stood outside among a group of people.
Kay, clad in a face mask and a black coat with gold buttons across the chest, leans in to embrace Beth.
Beth – also wearing a cloth covering her nose and mouth – is hard to miss in the snaps as she is dressed in a bright red coat.
The photos also show Kay wrapping her arms around another woman – whose identity is unknown – as they stand in the throng of people.
Burley has said she will not front Sky News in the coming weeks due to a pre-planned holiday to Africa, after admitting breaking safety rules.
Sky News have launched an internal investigation to find out whether the gathering for Kay’s birthday was “Covid compliant”.
Kay reportedly invited nine of her friends out for dinner in Soho – across two tables – which would potentially break the rule of six.
After celebrating her 60th birthday at a “Covid-compliant” restaurant she admits she “popped into another” venue to use the bathroom, after curfew time.
An insider told The Sun: “The Sky News bosses were absolutely furious at Kay.
“She should know better and they told her as such. They’ve told her she’s off-air for the foreseeable. It looks like it will be 2021 before she’s back.”
They added: “The others involved have also been warned about their behaviour. Beth, Inzy and Sam have all had tickings off too but none more so than Kay.”
Kay shared a grovelling apology on Twitter over breaking the Covid-19 government rules.
She wrote: “On Saturday night I was enjoying my 60th birthday at a Covid compliant restaurant. I am embarrassed to say that later in the evening I inadvertently broke the rules…
“I had been waiting for a taxi at 11pm to get home. Desperate for the loo I briefly popped into another restaurant to spend a penny. I can only apologise.”
Kay was absent from her daily breakfast show on Sky News on Tuesday.
Under Tier 2 restrictions, people cannot mix with other households indoors whether this is a private home or a public place.
Some restaurants have outdoor seating where people can meet up with people outside their household.
Only up to groups of six are allowed during the Tier 2 lockdown.
A spokesperson for Sky told the BBC: “We place the highest importance on complying with the government guidelines on Covid, and we expect all our people to comply.
“We were disappointed to learn that a small number of Sky News staff may have engaged in activity that breached the guidelines.
“Although this took place at a social event in personal time, we expect all our people to follow the rules that are in place for everyone.”
Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected]rror.com or call us direct 0207 29 33033.
Help us to become independent in PANDEMIC COVID-19. Contribute to diligent Authors.