The eCommerce marketplace industry is growing at a rapid pace. In 2021, retail eCommerce sales were an estimated $4.9 trillion U.S. dollars worldwide. And over the next five years, this figure will increase by 50 percent.
Many different eCommerce marketplaces exist today, such as Amazon, eBay, and Etsy. These marketplaces allow sellers to sell their goods to consumers who want to purchase them. They also provide a platform for buyers and sellers to find each other, making it convenient for both parties involved in the transaction.
Marketplaces are clearly becoming profitable and popular. That is why this article will show you how to build a website like Amazon.
Why is it Worth Building an eCommerce Website?
The benefits of an e-commerce website are manifold. One of the most obvious advantages is the convenience it offers to shoppers. Customers no longer need to go to a brick-and-mortar store. They can shop from home. This also means that companies don’t need to spend money on physical storefronts or warehouses, which saves them both time and money.
E-commerce websites also offer many other advantages to vendors, such as:
- Access to more data about their customers than traditional stores do;
- More control over their inventory;
- No restrictions on what vendors sell;
- Customers are able to purchase products from anywhere in the world at any time of day.
Finally, the owners of marketplaces have everything to gain because they will be making profits from commissions. Also, they don’t need to own products or even warehouses.
What Features Does an eCommerce Website Need?
The success of your website depends on the features which are added. Here are some of the core features to include:
There are many features that an e-commerce website should have to make the buying process easier for the buyers.
Some of the most important features that an e-commerce website should have are:
- Search feature – To ensure buyers can easily find what they are looking for, it is important to include the search function. This greatly increases the user-friendliness of the website.
- Payment options – This feature ensures buyers can easily and securely pay for their purchases.
- Shipping options – This feature will provide information about how long it will take for a buyer to receive their product and what costs they will incur during shipping.
- Product reviews – These reviews provide an honest opinion about the product and help buyers decide before they buy something.
- Shopping cart – This feature allows buyers to store items in their shopping cart so that they can come back later or buy them later when they have more money available.
Now, let’s talk about the features that attract sellers to a platform:
- Detailed vendor’s profile page – sellers should have the possibility to add information about themselves on the platform. A complete profile increases the credibility of the seller.
- Products listing management – The main goal of the vendor is to sell their products. So, they need to be able to list their products or services on the website.
- Convenient order management system – Vendors will constantly be receiving orders from clients. That is why they need an efficient order management system to ensure that orders don’t get mixed up.
A good e-commerce website should have a number of features that make it easy to maintain and manage. Some of the most important features of an e-commerce website are:
- Website management – Admins should be able to update the site content and design quickly.
- Admin dashboard – The admin dashboard is the control panel for your website. It’s where you can make changes to your site, manage users, and see how well your site is doing.
- Customer support – They should be able to provide customer support via email or chat. This will ensure that customers can seek help regarding issues they encounter while using the platform.
How to Make a Site Like Amazon: Key Steps
To successfully build and monetize your eCommerce platform, you must follow these steps to simplify the process.
The discovery phase is a key step in the process of building an eCommerce site. It is important to understand the needs and wants of your customers, as well as their buying behaviors. You should also consider what type of site you want to build and how you will use it.
In this phase, you need to identify your customer profile, research your competitors, and identify what products you will sell and why they are better than others. This phase also includes figuring out how you will market your site and what type of website it will be (web-based or mobile).
UX Concept Creation
It involves brainstorming, designing and testing different concepts to see which is the best for the company. The perfect design will be based on the company’s goals, objectives, and target audience.
It is a critical step because it will determine how people will interact with the website. Many things need to be considered when designing a UX Concept, including
- The content and information architecture of the website
- The user journey
- The layout of the page and navigation
- Usability and accessibility standards
Choosing the Tech Stack
There are many options from which you can choose, but each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Common technologies people use for building an eCommerce site are CMS platforms like WordPress. They are easy to use and require little or no coding knowledge. However, these types of platforms limit customization, and your site will not be unique.
Another option is hiring a custom software development company like Sloboda Studio which is an expert working with frameworks like Ruby on Rails. They have over 9 years of experience building marketplace websites. This option might be more expensive than using WordPress, but it will give you more control over your site, what it looks like, and more unique features.
The next step is to create a Minimum Viable Product (MVP), a prototype with just enough features to demonstrate the core functionality of your product or service. The MVP should have just enough features to make it possible for customers to see its potential for solving their problem but not so many features that it’s too difficult for them to figure out what it does.
To sum up
Building your eCommerce website needs to be done using a systematic approach which we have listed above.
Building an e-commerce website has many benefits, including convenience for both customers and sellers, affordability for small businesses, and profits for the owner of the platform.