Two more people have died from COVID-19 in Saskatchewan as the province reported 181 new cases on Sunday.
The two deaths involve people from the north central zone. The government of Saskatchewan says one person were in their 20s and the other was in their 80s.
This brings Saskatchewan’s COVID-19 death toll to 31.
“COVID-19 is a dangerous and sometimes deadly disease that is spreading in every part of Saskatchewan,” Premier Scott Moe tweeted on Sunday, asking the public to redouble their efforts to prevent the spread of the virus.
“Assume it’s in your community.”
Hospitalizations continue to rise across the province along with cases.
There are 5,001 total cases in Saskatchewan, with 62 people in hospital, a record-high. Of those, 16 people are in the ICU.
As of Sunday, 1,807 cases are considered active. A total of 3,163 have recovered from the virus.
The majority of the province’s active cases are in Saskatoon, with 549 cases, Regina, with 344 cases and the province’s north, with 652 cases.
Coronavirus: Trudeau says Ottawa will help provinces, territories but stressed resources not unlimited
Sunday’s new cases are located in the following zones:
- Far North West: 9
- Far North East: 7
- North West: 16
- North Central: 9
- North East: 6
- Saskatoon: 64
- Central West: two
- Central East: one
- Regina: 28
- South West: one
- South Central: 10
- South East: 18
The location of 10 cases is pending.
Six cases that were previously reported as pending have been assigned to north central and north west, with three cases each.
On Monday, new COVID-19 measures come into effect including an expanded mask mandate and a curfew on liquor sales in bars, restaurants and nightclubs.
On Sunday, Moe tweeted that additional measures are being considered to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This comes as the province reported nearly 500 new cases over the weekend along with record-high hospitalizations.
Deaths will imminently rise in the weeks ahead if more measures aren’t implemented, say hundreds of Saskatchewan doctors who penned an open letter to the government asking for more aggressive measures.
“We are increasingly worried about our healthcare system’s capacity to cope,” reads the letter.
“With the broad spread of COVID-19 it is certain that many of our current healthcare providers will become ill and further limit any capacity to expand. We do not want to face the unimaginable choices of rationing ventilators and considering the ethical allocations of beds that we have seen in other regions of the world.
“Decisive, immediate action may prevent this from becoming a reality.”
To date, Saskatchewan has processed 297,704 COVID-19 tests, an increase of 2,967 from Saturday.
Coronavirus: Saskatchewan announces new restrictions as case counts head in ‘wrong direction’
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Help us to become independent in PANDEMIC COVID-19. Contribute to diligent Authors.