Ontario is moving the COVID-19 hotspots of Toronto and Peel Region into lockdown starting Monday. Schools and child care centres will remain open.
The move will close cinemas, gyms, museums and sports facilities, and will restrict restaurants to all but delivery and takeout.Retail stores are also set to be limited to curbside pickup and delivery only.
Premier Doug Ford said he understood people’s frustrations, but there was simply no choice at this point.
“I know these past few months have been extremely difficult. COVID fatigue is setting in on all of us,” he said. “We will endure. We will persevere and we will get through this.”
Ford said the lockdown would ensure hospitals weren’t overrun, long-term care homes were protected and schools could stay open.
“To protect what matters most we have to get the community spread under control,” he said.
Ford had said earlier this week that new restrictions were needed to help preserve hospital capacity and protect residents of long-term care homes.
The stricter measures come as Ontario reports 1,418 new cases of COVID-19 today, along with eight new deaths related to the virus.
The government said there were 400 new cases in Peel Region, 393 in Toronto and 168 in York Region.
The latest figures have pushed the province over the 100,000 case mark, for a total of 100,790 infections.
— with files from Ryan Tumilty, National Post
World News || Latest News || U.S. News
Help us to become independent in PANDEMIC COVID-19. Contribute to diligent Authors.
If you registered an account, please enter your details below to login. If this is your first time, proceed to the donation form.